8th November 2019
Dear parents/ carers,
Welcome back to the second half of the autumn term and the run up to Christmas! As there is quite a lot for this week’s newsletter, I have decided to be brief and bullet point or it will be a very long read!
• Individual and sibling photos are taking place on Monday 11th November – if families have a younger sibling not yet at our school, you are welcome to bring them to the school to be photographed from 8.30-8.50 on Monday morning.
• Flu vaccine –Wednesday 13th November. You have already have received a letter from the school office advising you to provide electronic consent this year for the flu vaccine programme. A reminder that these must be completed prior to Wednesday, otherwise your child will not be able to receive the vaccine. If you require another copy or have any questions, please do contact the office. For more information about the vaccine you can contact Essex Partnership University Trust- Immunisation Service on 01371 877417.
• LIDL sports stickers – we only need 10 for the second poster which must be sent off on Monday – please have a search and bring any you find into school by Monday lunchtime – thank you!
• Parent Governor – We have a vacancy for a Parent Governor! I will send a separate letter regarding this but please do come and talk to either myself or Mrs Lindy McDermott (Chair), for more information.
• No Pens Wednesday –Please find attached to this newsletter information about our participation in ‘No Pens Wednesday’
• As you may be aware, the primary school (Reception) admission round opens on 11 November 2019, for parents of children to apply for a Reception school place for the academic year that starts in September 2020.
The statutory national closing date for applications is 15 January 2020.
From 11 November 2019, applications can be made online via www.essex.gov.uk/admissions All of the application information is available on this website. The website also has a copy of the Primary Education in Essex 2020/21 booklet and the Schools Admissions Policies Directories contain details of all admission policies.
• Children in Need – it was great to see so many spots and stripes on Friday and all money collected will be added to the proceeds from the School Council’s cake sale on Friday 15th November after school. If you are able to donate any cakes for Friday, please bring them to the office, thank you.
• Pots and Pans! A plea from Reception and Year 1 – if you have any old metal pots, pans, cooking tins or utensils you are able to donate to school, these would be gratefully received for our woodland area mud kitchen. They need to be full size utensils and made of metal. Thank you in advance, these can be dropped off to the office or Reception classroom.
• Design a Christmas Card project with Prontaprint Bishops Stortford – A reminder that all designs must be received by Friday 15th November. If you need another order form, please speak to Mrs Hipperson or Mrs Nicholls in the school office.
• Coffee and Cake with Mrs Cowell (Paired Reading) – Tuesday 26th November 8.45 – 9.45am. Mrs Cowell will be sharing information about a new intervention we are currently using in school called Paired Reading. Paired Reading is aimed at helping pupils develop more fluency and enjoy their reading. This is a simple strategy that parents can also do at home when hearing their child read. Do come along if you would like to learn more or you have any concerns about your child’s reading (or if you just fancy cake!).
• Uttlesford Food Bank, Christmas Gift Appeal – A reminder that we are continuing to support Uttlesfood food bank by collecting toys for those families who are unable to afford a Christmas gift for their children (they must be new). If you would like to support, you can bring in new toys to school. Sadly we haven’t received any yet and we only have a couple of weeks left to ensure they are distributed in time for Christmas. Lorraine Pavey has organised this special appeal, please do speak to her if you have any questions, thank you.
• PSA news – a wonderful end to the week was had with the Halloween discos, the children (and adults!) had a spooktacular time! Thank you to everyone that helped. Look out for a full round up of events and fundraising by the PSA in next week’s newsletter. Thinking ahead, here are some key dates for your Christmas calendar…
• 22nd November – Festive sock day in return for Toys, Books and Bottles for the Tombola – we’re happy to receive more toys in the run up too!
• 29th November – Crazy hair day in return for wrapped sweets
• 6th December (Bazaar day) – Xmas Jumper/Festive attire day in return for cakes
If you are able to help with the bazaar, please do let the PSA know.
A few people have asked, so to clarify, the children’s Christmas parties on Tuesday 17th December will be during school time.
Finally, a huge well done to Harley who read at the very moving Remembrance service at Henham Church this morning, he was a real credit to the school.
There’s lots of information this week, if you want more detailed information, please just ask.
Coming up next week:
Monday 11th November – Individual and sibling photos
Tuesday 12th November – Open morning for prospective parents of Reception children 2020
Wednesday 13th November – Flu vaccines
No Pens Wednesday
Friday 15th November – Year 3 Sharing assembly (9am in the school hall)
School Council cake sale for Children in Need
With best wishes,