8th April 2020
Dear Parents and carers,
I know it’s officially the Easter holidays, however it seems that every day is much the same! I do hope you are all keeping well and managing during this very strange time!?
As you know, our website, https://henhamugley.essex.sch.uk/children/classes/ has lots of activities for the children to complete and take part in, however I’m sure many of you are finding that the children are now having a lot of screen time that they wouldn’t normally have had.
This of course raises additional concerns regarding their on-line safety. There is support available to keep your child/ren safe online and below are some links you may find useful to assist with this:
- Thinkyouknow (advice from the National Crime Agency to stay safe online)
- https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/support-tools/home-activity-worksheets?utm_source=Thinkuknow&utm_campaign=46e6250b3e-TUK_ONLINE_SAFETY_AT_HOME_07_04_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0b54505554-46e6250b3e-55164133 (home activity packs)
- Internet matters (support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online)
- Parent info (support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online)
- LGfL (support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online)
- Net-aware (support for parents and carers from the NSPCC)
- Let’s Talk About It (support for parents and carers to keep children safe from online radicalisation)
- UK Safer Internet Centre (tips, advice, guides etc)
- During this time away from school, teachers have been keeping in touch mainly via email and our class Facebook page. I have spoken to and seen some parents, but of course, there are many of you that we haven’t spoken to for some time now. I have therefore arranged for all the teachers to make contact via telephone with you all from next week, where you will be able to discuss any concerns or worries you may have or be having and we will do our best to help.
Please do let the teachers know if there is anything we can help with or any additional support materials etc you may need.
- A reminder, that the School Nurse Team is still available on: 0300 247 0122 There will be a school nurse available during this holiday as well. If you call the team and there is not a nurse available on that day then a message can be left and they will get back to you. There are also family support workers linked to the service who will be able to talk to parents.
- You may have already heard, that the BBC is enhancing its education provision to include daily lessons, starting from the 20th April. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52149409
- Additionally, the government has released a list of approved online resources to assist with home education. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-online-education-resources/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-online-education-resources-for-home-education
- Operation Shield – Operation shield is the name given to the work to support the needs of those people with medical conditions that make them most vulnerable to serious complications from COVID-19, so that these people can remain at home. If shielded people have good social networks that they can rely on, then that will be possible. If they don’t then Operation Shield has created systems to step in to help. Please see attached to this newsletter, further information on the cohorts of individuals in scope of this work and how they are being supported to access food and other essentials.
Finally, I will continue to update the website as new information or resources become available. I will also be uploading at the end of next week, new support materials and activities from the teachers, for the start of the summer term, 20th April.
As always, please do get in touch with me or the teachers if there is anything we can help you with.
I am always thinking of you all and sending you my warmest wishes,